The Department of Radiation Oncology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center is experiencing continued growth in its clinical, research and educational enterprises. The Department is an integral member of the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center (VICC), an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, which has again been named among the nation's elite providers of specialty care by U.S. News and World Report magazine. Additionally, Vanderbilt University Medical Center has been ranked the No. 1 hospital in the Metro Nashville area and the No. 1 hospital in Tennessee. Nashville has experienced tremendous growth and was ranked fifth on the list of cities people are moving to by Forbes Magazine. There are also a wealth of activities and Nashville was recently ranked as the third best city in America by Travel + Leisure.
We seek a motivated individual with leadership experience to serve as Clinic Manager of the Department of Radiation Oncology to ensure smooth clinical operations as well as promote further department development. The department delivers radiation to approximately 100-130 patients per day across the Main campus (Nashville) and Franklin facilities. These treatments include inpatients, pediatric patients and those who have a component of their treatment in the operating room. Additionally, there are approximately 30-40 new consults and follow-ups seen daily. Responsibilities would include oversight of daily clinical operations and the coordination of care between professional groups within the Department ( i.e., Physician, Advanced Practice Provider, Nursing, Physics and Radiation Therapy) to ensuring excellent patient experience. Additionally, the Clinic Manager will be responsible for operational oversight and management of all phases of the radiation therapy group, assisting the CBO with budget management, and ensuring maintenance of safety/regulatory requirements. The Clinic Manager will work to ensure operational plans for the enterprise are being achieved at a departmental level with service excellence. As such, the Clinic Manager must have a strong foundation in clinical operations and billing.
Prior managerial experience is required. Experience in radiation therapy is preferred but not mandatory.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
The clinic is open Monday through Friday; on-call radiation therapy services provided at nights and on the weekend as needed.
The responsibilities of the Radiation Oncology Clinic Manager include but are not limited to:
* Serving as a leader in the department to provide high-quality, high-value, cost-effective care for patients undergoing radiation therapy.
* Coordinating the clinical operations of staff within the department as well as serving as a representative of the department for the institution.
* Applying in-depth knowledge and skills to manage the work of the radiation oncology department.
* Optimizing clinical workflows to continuously improve the patient experience.
* Utilizing problem solving skills and service recovery as required.
* Facilitating the research and educational goals of the department and integrate said activities into clinic workflow as directed by leadership.
* Promoting collaboration between radiation oncology team and ancillary departments/centers.
* Developing and operationalizing organizational mission, goals, strategic plan, budgets, resource allocations, and policies/procedures for the Department.
* Facilitates communication between the various satellites and the Nashville campus to ensure consistency in protocols and staff metrics across the entire department.
* Managing elements of a complex department with a focus on implementation; executing short to medium term strategies.
* Collaborating with department support staff to manage scheduling for staff and faculty for optimal clinical coverage in conjunction with satellite leadership.
* Lead recruitment and evaluation of new staff members, as necessary.
* Participating in the discussion of acquiring new technologies and their appropriate deployment.
* Under the direction of the Department CBO, prepare budgets including labor, material and supplies, services, equipment maintenance and replacement.
* Ensuring quality and safety of patient care within the department.
* Defining qualifications and performance expectations for all radiation therapist, nursing, and PSS positions and ensure staff competencies are maintained in collaboration with Lead Therapist(s), Charge Nurse and Lead PSS.
* Collecting and evaluating metrics related to Institutional, departmental and individual staff goals.
* Utilizing metric data to update policies and protocols to implement changes to improve department workflow.
* Maintaining clear and consistent communication and leadership with motivational spirit.
This position requires a Bachelor's degree, Master's degree preferred with two years or equivalent of managerial experience. Management experience in healthcare is preferred as is experience in radiation oncology.
If Radiation Therapist: American Registry of Radiologic Technologists
If Nurse- TN State Board of Nursing licensure
JOB CODE INFORMATION: Title: Mgr Radiation Oncology Program
Job Code: 5678
Job Stream Description: Management
Title: Mgr Radiation Oncology Program
Job Code: 5678
Job Stream Description: Management
JOB SUMMARY: Manages, coordinates, and monitors the Radiation Therapy program and the Radiation Oncology Clinic.
Collaborates to operationalize the mission, strategic plan, budgets, resource allocation, operational plans, and policies for the department.
Leverages the performance development process of goal setting, ongoing assessment, coaching and performance evaluation to achieve goals.
Prepares budgets for Radiation Therapy program including labor, material and supplies, services, equipment maintenance and replacement.
Defines qualifications and performance expectations for all staff positions through the Performance Development system, including department-specific job descriptions and measurable performance standards.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
LEADERSHIP - (INTERMEDIATE): - Motivates and inspires others to perform at a high level. Puts aside personal needs and considerations for the good of the team. Communicates in a positive and constructive way, demonstrating an enthusiasm for team and unit goals. Takes appropriate risks, showing and accepting personal accountability for actions and decisions. Gets others to share challenges and perform as a valuable member of the team and unit. Accomplishes results through influence, coaching, communication and commitment with minimal use of authority and control.
OPERATIONS PLANNING - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates ability to forecast complex resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, define dependencies, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work for a single functional area. Merges diverse points of view into a coalition with shared goals and objectives. Plans for and anticipates events outside of immediate responsibility. Identifies relevant stakeholders and gains their commitment. Anticipates problems and obstacles before they arise. Able to absorb changes to major assignments while maintaining a high level of performance. Competently handles multiple assignments and projects simultaneously. Sets priorities with a proper sense of urgency and importance. Develops creative ideas and takes innovative action to achieve planned goals and objectives.
PEOPLE MANAGEMENT - (INTERMEDIATE): - Successfully resolves conflicts and disciplinary problems. Provides counseling and career development planning to subordinates. Constructively gives timely positive and negative feedback, confronting individual performance problems in a professional and sensitive manner. Aware of the values, abilities and needs of others. Demonstrates the ability to create a positive work climate, establishing a feeling of partnership and empowering others. Has set, coached and assessed the assignment objectives of subordinates. Practices and rewards behaviors supportive of company values.
COMPLIANCE - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates knowledge of the appropriate rules and regulations and apply them in difficult, stressful and complex situations. Able to interpret and explain rules and regulations that are ambiguous or unclear. Directs others in interpreting rules and regulations on the job and trains others in them.
BUSINESS RESULTS - (NOVICE): - Develops and implements appropriate measures for attaining well-defined business results and tracks progress in meeting goals and objectives. Continuously demonstrates a strong focus on quality in spite of pressures from competition, budgets, and time. Anticipates and responds effectively to customer needs. Sensitive to changes in the environment which may impact customer satisfaction, product quality, or profitability. Able to specify clear, precise personal objectives.
QUALITY MANAGEMENT - (NOVICE): - Has provided continuous analysis and evaluation of assignment work processes, constantly striving for improvement in the way tasks and activities are accomplished by questioning their value to the process and contributing creative solutions. Has participated in the process of establishing, communicating and monitoring standards for quality and excellence. Demonstrates the ability to actually work on and improve a current business process, product or service.
Organizational Impact: Directs activities to achieve operational plans with some near term effect on results of the department/area.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Identifies issues, gathers facts to resolve technical and operational problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies in-depth knowledge and skills of a professional/technical area and basic management knowledge to manage the work of the team.
Team Interaction: Leads a complex department with a focus on implementation. Typically executes on a short to medium term strategies.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (M2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (M2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (M2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (M2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (M2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.
To improve the patient experience by providing health care providers; patients and their families; and others with information, education, networking opportunities, and related resources focused on best practices.