PRMO: , established in 2001, Patient Revenue Management Organization (PRMO) is a fully integrated, centralized revenue cycle organization supporting all of Duke Health, including Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, the Private Diagnostic Clinic, and Duke PrimaryCare. The PRMO focuses on streamlining the revenue cycle through enhanced management of scheduling, registration, coding, HIM operations, billing, collections, cash management, and customer service. The Mission of the PRMO is delivering quality service by enhancing the patient experience, providing financial security, and preserving Duke's reputation and mission of advancing health together. Our Vision is to be recognized as a world class innovative revenue cycle organization that values our people, patients and performance.
Medical Records Coder II - Psychology
The Medical Records Coder II is a certified professional coder. Coordinate/review the work of subordinate employees and assist with the training and continuing education programs. Code medical records utilizing ICD-10-CM and CPT -4 coding conventions. Review the medical record to assure specificity of diagnoses, procedures and appropriate/optimal reimbursement for hospital and/or professional charges. Abstract information from medical records following established methods and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level:
* Review the complex (problematic coding that needs research and reference checking) medical records and accurately code the primary/secondary diagnoses and proce dures including evaluation and management services using ICD-10-CM and/o r CPT coding conventions.
* Coordinate/review the work of designated providers. Ensure quality and quantity of work performed through regular audits.
* Assist with research, development and presentation of continuing education programs on areas of specialization.
* Consult with and educate physicians on coding practices and conventions in order to provide detailed coding information. Communicate with nursing and ancillary services personnel for needed documentation for accurate coding.
* Maintain a thorough understanding of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, disease processes and surgical techniques through participation in continuing education programs to effectively apply ICD- 10 -CM and CPT-4 coding guidelines to inpatient and outpatient diagn oses and procedures.
* Maintain a thorough understanding of medical record practices, standards, regulations, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Organizations (JCAHO), Health Care/Finance Administrati on(HCFA), Medical Review of North Carolina (MRNC), etc.
*Assist with special projects as required.
* Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Minimum Qualifications Education
High school diploma required.
RHIA certification- no experience required RHIT certification- no experience required CCS certification- one year of coding experience required CPC or HCS-D certification- two years of coding experience required
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Must hold one of the following active/current certifications: Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) Hospital Coding Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) Hospital Coding Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) Hospital Coding Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Homecare Coding Specialist-Diagnosis (HCS-D) Homecare Coding
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas--an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Health strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally through innovative scientific research, rapid translation of breakthrough discoveries, educating future clinical and scientific leaders, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health, and leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities.
To improve the patient experience by providing health care providers; patients and their families; and others with information, education, networking opportunities, and related resources focused on best practices.