Operating a hospital is more than IV bags and trauma rooms. One might be surprised by the number of people - and the hats they wear - who work behind the scenes to make sure a hospital runs smoothly and safely for our patients, visitors and staff. Each one plays a critical role and is part of a team to ensure the best care for our patients.
Pre-Service team is responsible for assisting patients during the onsite registration, admission, and arrival processes for scheduled and unscheduled visits in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
This Senior Patient Access Services Representative works to financially clear scheduled services prior to the date of service. This includes insurance eligibility, estimate creation, obtaining and/or validating authorizations as payer guidelines require and verifying demographics. This position also educates patient on insurance benefits, financial liability, and secures patient liability ahead of service. In addition to these responsibilities, the Senior Patient Access Services Representative will take on a lead role on the team to include training and managing work flow.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position works to financially clear scheduled services prior to the date of service. This includes insurance eligibility, estimate creation, obtaining and/or validating authorizations as payer guidelines require and verifying demographics. This position also educates patient on insurance benefits, financial liability, and secures patient liability ahead of service.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Serves as an example to peers for both behaviors and performance of job functions. Provides leadership and training to Patient Financial Services Representatives, and act as a knowledge resource for internal customers. Serves as a primary resource in complex and/or sensitive cases. Oversees patient flow during the shift and assigns job duties to staff to ensure patient flow is maintained at an optimal level. Assesses the needs of the department and may flex employees shift as appropriate. Resolves employee/patient issues that arise during shift and communicates issues to supervisor for follow up. Trains new hires and/or internal transfers thoroughly and provide on-going guidance to ensure their success.
2. Demonstrates a thorough understanding of insurance guidelines for scheduled services. Proficiently verifies, reads and understands insurance benefits, accurately creates patient estimates for services rendered using estimator tools, able to educate patient on their insurance benefits and estimate. Collects patient responsibility. Must be able to consistently meet monthly individual collection target as determined by management.
3. Demonstrates the ability to prioritize workload in order to accurately complete daily work list. This may include working with scheduling, ordering provider and/or payer in order to fully clear a patient's account prior to the date of service.
4. May develop payment plans for all patients that are not able to pay their full liability at the time of service. May obtain and/or validate authorizations for scheduled procedures.
5. Daily focus on attaining productivity standards, recommends new approaches for enhancing workflow, and/or patient experience and productivity.
6. Conducts customer interactions over the phone. Demonstrates clear understanding that this position creates the first impression for our patient's experience with Banner Health. Demonstrates a positive patient experience through interactions and effective communication.
7. Completes and/or attends training and education sessions, including facility department meetings within approved organizational guidelines and time frames. Adheres to Banner Health's organizational policies and procedures for relevant location and job scope.
8. Performs other duties as assigned by management.
9. Works independently under general supervision, leads and follows structured work, including resolving patient concerns. Knows when to escalate issues to leader in order to maximize customer experience. Must be able to learn and multitask through multiple applications in order to accomplish daily worklist.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
Requires knowledge as typically obtained through an Associate's degree in Business, Hospital Administration or equivalent work experience normally demonstrated by three years in hospital Patient Registration/ Financial Services work.
Clear understanding of the impact financial counseling has on Revenue Cycle operations and financial performance. Excellent written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated negotiation skills, ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and to effectively anticipate and respond to issues as needed in a dynamic work environment. Demonstrated ability to use PC based office productivity tools (e.g. Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel) as necessary; general computer skills necessary to work effectively in an office environment. Dedication to treating both internal and external constituents as clients and customers, maintaining a flexible customer service approach and orientation that emphasizes service satisfaction and quality.
Work experience with the Company's systems and processes is preferred. May have related experience with financial institution or background, CHAA certification, understanding of medical terminology, previous EMR experience preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R21449
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.
To improve the patient experience by providing health care providers; patients and their families; and others with information, education, networking opportunities, and related resources focused on best practices.