Location: Poughkeepsie, New York
Admin / Clerical
Responsible for timely and accurate Patient Registration for Emergency Room and outpatients. Operates Switchboard and associated communications Systems. Performs Cashier functions to include processing patient valuables during non-business hours. Weekend and Holiday rotation required.
- Obtains insurance, financial information, patient identification and copies of insurance cards from patient or guarantor. Obtains co-pays. Enters information in computer system with a high degree of accuracy in a timely manner (15 minutes max). Notates registration via comments for potential problems EX: language barriers, foreign country address, unable to obtain info, etc. Notifies appropriate personnel of system problems. Recognizes activity of area and takes initiative to assist.
- Verifies insurance eligibility via HDX and various Insurance plans via reports. Questionable insurances follow up with patient accounting for resolution.
- Provides patients or their representative.Federal and NYS mandated brochures, HIPAA, Patient Rights, Etc.
- Reports to ED for bedside registration, ensuring mobile PC is working and fully stocked. Escorts patient to ED, placing patient in bed. Reports problems with system/PC to Help Desk.
- Places thermal ID band on patient in accordance with infection control protocol, OSHA category II Notifies clinical staff of any issues with armband placement.
- Follows Code 99 protocol, updating Info, notifying appropriate departments.
- Distributes and monitors tokens for ED parking lot.
- Operates Mitel console, monitors fire alarm system and other communications systems.
- Answers Internal and external calls professionally in accordance with established greeting guidelines in a manner consistent with the Guest Relations philosophy. Pages Codes and announcements in accordance with established guidelines. Assists callers with specific problems (ex: keep obtaining voice mail, outside lines, etc.
- Maintains accurate duty roster all 3 shifts. Receives report at beginning of shift and reads Communication Manual.
- Collects co-pays and other payments during non-Business hours.
- Disburses petty cash for patient transportation.
- Records patient valuables during non-business hours, securing in switchboard safe with security office.
- Maintains log of deceased patients, documenting all pertinent information. Identifies and refers potential problems to senior staff E.g.: body in morgue over 24 hours, death certificate not signed.
- Check personnel folders daily, corrects registration errors.
- Identifies learning opportunities, seeks guidance in new or unfamiliar situations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Insurance/Authorization Verification knowledge. 1-3 years of related experience preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology a plus
High school graduate or equivalent.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.Excellent communications skills to include conflict management, tact, persuasion and problem solving skills.Demonstrates commitment to Guest Services program and performs duties to promote quality patient care and customer satisfaction while promoting safety and cost efficiency.Detail oriented and Multi tasking skills preferred.
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley's most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area's only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.