Location: Suffern, New York
Admin / Clerical
The Unit Clerk is responsible for performing a variety of clerical duties relating to the updating and organizing of information on a nursing unit and interacting with patients, families and staff to ensure smooth and efficient departmental operations.
* Adheres to Department specific state regulations, e.g., security of medication.
* Maintains supply of materials necessary for patient care and for work related duties on the nursing unit.
* Initiates requisitions for supplies, equipment, maintenance and repair services.
* Ensures patients, patient's families, and visitors are oriented to hospital.
* Responds to inquiries and handles phone calls appropriately, including responding to calls from physicians. Reports pertinent information or unusual circumstances to the supervisor in a timely manner.
* Coordinates work within the unit and effectively interacts with co-workers and other staff members to ensure quality patient care.
* Ensures patient's charts are in proper order, and enters and completes orders into systems if required.
* Contacts physicians, labs, x-rays, and other departments as necessary.
* Effectively uses automated systems to perform work assignments.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience: Previous clerical experience in a healthcare setting preferred; knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Licenses / Certifications: None
Special Requirements: N/A
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area's leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children's Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.